Soups Your Kids Will Love
With the colder nights fast approaching, cosy up with a warm bowl of soup that's tasty, quick and most importantly, easy to make. These recipes are made with children in mind where you can disguise their five a day in a delicious and healthy way. Never worry again about what to make your fussy eaters this winter!
Give 'Em Pumkin To Talk About!
Waste not, Want not! Put your leftover pumpkin to good use after Halloween and make a hearty and filling soup that the kids will love, both carving and eating.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped roughly
- 1kg pumpkin diced into 1–2cm cubes
- 3 potatoes diced into 1–2cm cubes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp finely chopped rosemary (alternatively use any herbs ie. thyme)
- 1000ml vegetable or chicken stock
- In a large pot heat the olive oil and saute the onions over a medium heat until soft or translucent
- Next, mix in the garlic, potato, rosemary the pumpkin and stir often for around five minutes adding in boiling water if too thick
- Next, add the stock and bring to the boil
- Once the vegetables are soft reduce to a simmer
- Once cooled, blend until a smooth consistency
Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato
This recipe is perfect for using up whatever vegetables you have lying in the bottom of the fridge. Feel free to add any kind of root vegetables such as parsnips or carrots would also work well.
- 4 deseeded and halved red peppers
- 1 whole onion
- 5 large tomatoes or 15 vine tomatoes
- 4 whole cloves of garlic
- 400ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Place the peppers, onion tomatoes and garlic on a baking tray, cut side down and cover with olive oil
- Cook for 30 minutes until the veg is soft and turning brown in colour
- Take the vegetables out of the oven and remove the skins once cooled.
- Move the veg to a large pot and blend whilst slowly adding the stock
- Add the tomato puree and bring to the boil until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Serve with garlic bread and there you have it! A house full of happy campers!